Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Baked Parmesan Tomatoes

So we all know I love food.
I can't hide it anymore.
One of my favorite things to do is find a new recipe
and try it out.
I'm trying my best to be healthy, since I grew up in a house where butter, cream and cheese were used in every meal.
So tonight, I found something simple, delicious and quick!
I originally got the recipe from Eating Well but made some personal changes to it!


Ingredients:
4 Tomatoes
Shredded Parmesan cheese
Salt, pepper and garlic to taste
Olive Oil 
Polenta (either homemade or store bought)
Tomato Sauce (I made some from 1 can of diced tomatoes)

1. If you're making your own tomato sauce like I did, I started by heating the can of tomatoes in a pan over medium heat. I used Del Monte Garlic and Onion diced tomatoes. Then I added salt, pepper, garlic and basil. I let it simmer on the stove while I prepared the tomatoes.

2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

3. Cut the tomatoes into half horizontally.

4. Place each half on a cookie sheet.

5. Top each half with salt, pepper, garlic, a drizzle of olive oil and Parmesan.

6. Cut the polenta into 1/2 inch slices.

7. Place the polenta on a cookie sheet (I put the tomatoes and polenta on the same sheet) and drizzle with olive oil.

8. Bake the tomatoes and the polenta for at least 15 minutes, or until the tomatoes and soft.

TIP: I noticed that the polenta heated faster then the tomatoes. I would recommend pulling the polenta out once it's soft and lightly frying it in a pan to give it a crispy texture. 

9. Plate the polenta and tomato halves, cover the polenta with tomato sauce and a little extra cheese.

10. ENJOY!

I really enjoyed this meal. It was light and delicious. I think if I could do it over, I would add a piece of garlic bread to mop up the delicious juices from the tomatoes.
Let me know what you think!
Any suggestions??










2 comments:

  1. I'm soo hungry now! Good thing my stew is almost done
    P.S. I LOVE food too and keep the food/recipe posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall! I'm looking into making some sort of Easter goodies soon :) And I have a soup post I'm working on!

      Delete