Monday, October 1, 2012

The Subway Diaries: Kindness.

Today is a day of thought and remembrance. I've been deep in my brain thinking about my family, my boyfriend, my friends and my life. And human nature.

Every afternoon for the past 7 days, I've been claiming the York Mills subway station as my own. There's an older gentleman playing his guitar. He plays soft songs, filling the echoy tunnel with notes and hums. I've really enjoyed listening to it. It always seems to put me in a state of calm for my hour subway ride.

Today, I watched the young Asian boy walking ahead of me empty his change into the guitar case amongst a few dollar coins and quarters. He said "it's not much," with a shrug. I was blown away by this. In these moments, these small moments where one human is kind to another. There are the moments where I think there is hope for the world.


1 comment:

  1. What a sweet post. I absolutely love moments like that and it too gives me hope for the world. Have you seen the foreign film The Lives of Others? It's one of my favorites and is very moving because while the storyline is tragic it gives you hope in humanity. I definitely recommend it! Hope your week is off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete