Friday, February 22, 2013

Being a Wallflower.

I just finished watching The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I'm having one of those rosy lit, dreamy moments in my mind. It's late at night, it's dark and it's quite throughout the building. All the people are sleeping and I feel like I've been privileged to witness this beautiful moment. 

I had always heard of The Perks of Being a Wallflower but I never read it. I never knew what it was about and, for some reason, I never sought it out. In this moment, as the credits are still rolling on my screen and David Bowie is telling me how we can be heros, I realized what an impact that book would have had on my life when I was in high school. 

Watching that movie was like watching what I felt my high school experience was like, in it's own ways. I had my share of issues, hardships and triumphs. But this story is such a beautiful story about adolescence, finding yourself through others and figuring out how to make use of this life you have and the people in it.

I'm officially obsessed with it, as I was obsessed with The Virgin Suicides before I passed my copy of that book off to another person. This beautiful song of childhood and adolescence, growing up, failing and trying again. The pain and excitement of growing up, there's literally nothing like it anymore. Exploring life for the first time, experiencing an arsenal of emotions. 

Oh, I miss the romantic, dreamy, excited, hopeful days of not knowing what my life was about or where it was going. I can't wait to reach a path in my life where it's time to go into the unknown again.

This movie was so wonderful.

Not to mention the soundtrack. Holy cow, all the classics.

So now's a great time to turn the lights off, plug in the headphones and just turn it up. 


1 comment:

  1. So funny, we just watched this movie last weekend and loved it!

    I could also really relate to it and found it interesting from a trauma and mental health perspective since that's the field I work it.

    Definitely worth watching!

    ReplyDelete