Sunday, February 23, 2014

Oscar Glory

I don't know why, but I really love watching the Oscars. 

When I was a kid, we used to watch all the award shows. We would make something special dinner and usually a cake for dessert. We would all watch together, commenting on the dresses and actors. As a kid, I never knew anything about the actors or really cared about the fashion, it was just a really good time!

In the past few years, I've gotten back into award season. I think it's cool when people get recognition for their hard work (I know what you're thinking "they get paid millions of dollars and are famous, what more could they want?" I just love it anyway). This year, I'm making effort to watch all the films nominated for Best Picture, Actor/Actress and Supporting Actor/Actress. If you are unfamiliar with the nominations, they are as follows:

Best Picture
American Hustle
Captain Phillips
Dallas Buyers Club
Gravity
Her
Nebraska
Philomena
12 Years a Slave
The Wolf of Wall Street

Best Actor in a Leading Role
Christian Bale (American Hustle)
Bruce Dem (Nebraska)
Leonardo DiCaprio (The Wolf of Wall Street)
Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave)
Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)

Best Actress in a Leading Role
Amy Adams (American Hustle)
Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)
Sandra Bullock (Gravity)
Judi Dench (Philomena)
Meryl Streep (August: Osage Country)

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips)
Bradley Cooper (American Hustle)
Michael Fassbender (12 Years a Slave)
Jonah Hill (The Wolf of Wall Street)
Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club)

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Sally Hawkins (Blue Jasmine)
Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle)
Lupita Nyong'o (12 Years a Slave)
Julia Roberts (August: Osage Country)
June Squibb (Nebraska

PHEW.

I have currently seen 5 our of the 9 Best Picture nominees and have yet to see Blue Jasmine or August: Osage Country. From what I've seen, here are my thoughts (in short):


While I was really pumped for this movie, I was a little let down. The hype it received didn't live up to the finished product. Don't get me wrong, it was a good, entertaining movie. But I don't see it as the Best Picture of the year. It was a great period piece with costumes that were amazing. The music was good and the story line was fun, but again, nothing that I think could stand never to 12 Years a Slave (even though I have yet to watch that one, I just feel like it's going to be intense). 

Overall, I enjoyed it! But I don't think it's Best Picture worthy.


I just watched this today so it's really fresh in my emotional mind. I will straight up say that the last 10 minutes I just cried. It was such a super charged emotional movie that it was hard not to! The movie didn't leave much for down time, which I liked. I find that some high intensity, emotionally stressful movies put in too much down time. I liked that I didn't see all the best parts in the previews, the second half of the film I didn't even know was going to happen. It was an interesting, suspenseful and upsetting film that I really did enjoy. But again, I'm not sure I would pick it as the Best Picture of the year.


I loved this movie so much. I have always held a deep interest or fascination in the HIV/AIDS epidemic not only of the 1980's but also of the present. I think the story is so culturally important and interesting that it's hard not wish this film well. It's truly the underdog film of the year, I think. The story brings you close to the characters and gives you an inside look at, what is in my opinion, the scariest diseases the world faces. I don't what else to say about it, but if it doesn't win Best Picture (and I'm not saying that I want it to), it will always be one of my favorite movies.

Check back later this week for 3 more reviews and then again on Sunday when I cast my ballot!
Did you see any of these three films? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment